North Las Vegas Swimming Pool Accident Lawyer
There is no doubt that the weather in North Las Vegas can become incredibly hot, particularly during the summer months. Taking a dip in a pool, whether it is at a friend’s house, in a hotel, or at a public facility, is a great way to beat the heat. Swimming is also a great form of exercise and can provide a fun day in the sun.
Unfortunately, not all pools are safe and accidents do happen. The injuries sustained in one of these accidents are some of the most serious. Sometimes, they are even fatal. If you or someone you love has been injured while on someone else’s property, our North Las Vegas swimming pool accident lawyer can help you obtain the financial compensation you need to cover the cost of your losses.
Common Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents
A swimming pool accident can occur for any number of reasons. Some of the most common of these are as follows:
- Inadequate lighting: When a pool area is poorly lit, lifeguards may not be able to see a drowning victim. Inadequate lighting can also cause serious dive injuries.
- Unsafe decks: Pool decks must be kept as dry as possible, and they should be made from non-slip materials. A slippery deck can result in very serious injuries, including lacerations, broken bones, and brain injuries.
- Drain entrapment: When swimming pool drains are not properly covered swimmers can get their swimsuit, hair, or limbs caught in it. This can result in drowning but even when these accidents are not fatal, they can still cause serious brain damage and other injuries.
- Shallow depths: Many pools have very shallow depths and while there is nothing inherently wrong with this, there must be proper signage indicating the depth. When there is not, people may sustain serious diving injuries including head and brain injuries.
- Overcrowding: Most swimming pools have capacity limits and when they are exceeded, it can be difficult for lifeguards to recognize when a person is drowning or otherwise in jeopardy.
Unfortunately, the above are just a few of the most common causes of swimming pool accidents. Any time you or someone you love has been injured, it is important to speak to a lawyer who can advise you of your legal options.
Swimming Pools are Attractive Nuisances
Property owners can be held liable when a dangerous condition exists in or around their pool and they do not take the proper measures to correct it. However, even when the conditions around a pool are relatively safe, property owners can still be held liable. Under Nevada law, swimming pools are known as attractive nuisances. An attractive nuisance is defined as a potentially dangerous condition that exists on a property and that could be attractive to children.
As an attractive nuisance, property owners are required to make sure their pool cannot be accessed by others outside of the property. This includes installing fences and self-latching gates, and even potentially door alarms on any interior door that leads to a pool area. When property owners do not take these measures and children become hurt as a result, the owner can be held liable.
Our Swimming Pool Accident Lawyer in North Las Vegas Can Advise on Your Case
Our North Las Vegas swimming pool accident lawyer at Cameron Law has seen the devastation caused by these accidents. We are also dedicated to helping you make things right. If you or someone you love has been hurt, call us now at 702-745-4545 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.